Wednesday, August 3, 2011

EVOLUTION OF THE GRUMP STUMP

We were all getting out of Rick's VW van in front of Margaret's house when the eggs broke. Manuel was so pissed ... well, I think Manuel, David, and Rick might have spent the night in the van so that can make a person kinda cranky. Manuel started repeating " Fuckin' Varnum and his fuckin' eggs. Fuckin' Varnum and his fuckin' eggs." It was 1978 and we were all going to the Bread And Roses Concert at the UC Berkeley Hearst Theater.

Rick had what looked to us like gunslinger cool. His response was merely, "Who woke up on the grump stump this morning?"

I think I did. No real reason to be grumpy except for misplacing the keys to upstairs and maybe being a little tired from last night's fun and indulgence. It's probably how I express anxiety to some degree. I have my Job Circus tomorrow. Going out in public, having to look and act like a grown-up power maven that everyone wants to hire is always trying for me. And I still haven't settled on what I am going to wear. I hope I have something "sandal-ish" and appropriate. When you are doing the un/der/employment/pajama-worker shuffle, you don't need too many shoes.

Besides the performance anxiety, I spent 90 minutes trying to get my various email personas working on the three Apple products I use. IT is tough stuff. I had been spoiled by working around folks who had done enough head-banging and knew their way around. Now I have to face frustration, failure, and not a clue what to do.

However, in this case, I prevailed. Email working on platforms, and I have an inkling of the different between imap and smtp. So there.

The Bread and Roses show was amazing, by the way. I don't recall what we ended up doing for breakfast, though.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like that concert could not have been anything other than great! Cool that you've got the poster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides Varnum and his eggs (and it was a dozen eggs that broke, not just one) my main memory of the concert was Joni Mitchell walking onstage as a slight breeze came up, which felt great because it was a very warm day, and how the breeze made her dress sway a little, and she was joined onstage by Wayne Shorter. Oh, and the acid we injested was kicking into glide mode. She was playing songs from the Mingus album. God Must Be A Boogy Man.

    Manuel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I see the poster, I think I am confusing Herbie Hancock with Wayne. Sally, do you remember if they both were there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ wizman! I wondered where you were! I cannot remember clearly who she played with, but why not both of them. Wish my memories were clearer. I mostly remember Hoyt Axton and Jackson Browne with David Lindley. David was going to be married that day or shortly.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...