Monday, May 30, 2011

RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN

Friday, May 27, 2011

Adirondacks afternoon rainstorm. For some reason, I find no reason to complain about this. After a day of sightseeing, (or just driving through the mountains, depending on if your day is half-empty or half-full), some dead animal shopping (excellent taxidermy store, even though any place with dead cat forms, of any species, makes me uncomfortable), old-stuff shopping, and eating local ice cream, pie, and jerky, I am ready for a snooze and a peruse.


This is the buffalo farm where we bought coffee and cookies and buffalo jerky and coffee cake.




This is Schroon Lake, at the Alta Terra (or Terra Alta, I can never remember) dock. Although the lake is so high the dock is mostly underwater.


We got in at 2:00 am on the nose. I am so familiar with the Taconic Scenic Highway and surrounding areas, that I forgot that others might not have spent as much time. Tim, Melissa, and I got lost simply trying to find petrol and food. This vain search put us back an hour, a still-hungry-from-not-finding-any-dinner hour. Tim, having arisen at 6:00 was tired, so I took over the drive. A two-hour lightning storm entertained us up past Rhinebeck, Hudson, Catskill, and Coxsakie. Then an earnest rain made driving a complete challenge. And, at one point in driving in the driving rain in the last lane, I pulled off my glasses accidentally. Fortunately, they neither flew anywhere nor were out of reach, so Tim grabbed the wheel and I got them back on.
Verandah at Alta Terra clubhouse. Built in the 1920s ... I think.


 But we got here safely, calmed down a bit, and then headed to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...