Friday, May 20, 2011

OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN

So, Proust is pretty great. We read parts of the third section of the first book, A Cote de Chez Swann, aloud. We all loved the last lines:

"The places we have known do not belong solely to the world of space in which we situate them for our greater convenience. They were only a thin slice among contiguous impressions which formed our life at that time; the memory of a certain image is but regret for a certain moment; and houses, roads, avenues are as fleeting, alas, as the years."

One has to give it over to the work, though. Long and convoluted, it is. My man, Roger Shattuck says in his book, Proust's Way: A Field Guide to In Search of Lost Time, "Compounding the challenge of sheer magnitude and of an extended plot, there is Proust's style. His transcontinental sentences contribute to the appearance of a motionless plot." Damn straight. But a worthy endeavor nonetheless. And it is great to have some hella-smart fellow travellers to read and revel with.


Damn more rain. More. Rain. Gloaming. Gloomy. Blech.


The rain might be contributing to my current unusual state of mind. After many years taking medication for my ADD/ADHD, I have eased off. I suppose it takes a while to get through your system. The medication I was taking, Strattera, is too expensive ($465 per month) for me to take without health insurance. My good psychopharmacologist wrote prescriptions for Adderall, but I have mostly not been taking them this week. And I mostly can focus and I am mostly in good spirits. What is the word for "content" that does not imply any particular happiness and does imply or indicate moving along? 


I admit to some bad or regrettable behavior. I had a wrap party to attend for the ShweShwe Kids project. I took a nap at 4:30 and woke up at 7:45, a full 45 minutes after the dinner party was to begin. And this is not the first time such a thing had happened. I didn't think I would sleep for 3 plus hours. This is where my focus failed me: I failed to notice the invitation said "dinner party" and "7:00" ... I should have focussed enough to set the alarm for a reasonable time, just in case I went into a (n increasingly rare) sleep coma. Schmuck schmuck rude schmuck girl.


Oops, I Did It Again ...

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself up. I am unable to sleep through anything. This has a definite downside since it's hard for me to sleep through the night. If Cosmo wakes me up, I'm up for the day. On the plus side, I don't need an alarm clock, never miss planes, etc. think of elizabeth taylor, who was always late and yet no one minded.
    Did you read a visit from the goon squad? It's being compared to proust, at least from the time point of view...

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...