Monday, January 31, 2011

OF YOURSELF TO YOURSELF

The mature Emerson would look back on his voluminous journals as his savings bank. The phrase from the world of money seems feeble; it lacks the disastrous felicity—as Kenneth Burke called it—of say, William James's insistence on the "cash value of an idea," but Emerson's journals served a more vital purpose when he was just starting out. "Keep a journal . . . for the habit of rendering account of yourself to yourself and at more certain intervals than mere conversation."

Robert D. Richardson, First We Read, Then We Write: Emerson on the Creative Process

I don't think of this blog as a journal at all. Really. I scarcely tell anything here. I keep my rambling and whining (believe me) to a minimum. I do hope that, like my journals, I will look back and see evidence of patterns, growth, insight, and a bit of a history of what I was up to.

I do feel I have hit a level of something ... accomplishment? here ... what with the consistency of daily writing and the newfound ability to empty the dishwasher and keep the counters neater. And I do want to grow, writing-wise, yoga-wise (hahahaha)  in some way, some direction.

This is where I often get lost. Sometimes it is first steps. More often it is next steps. I am not even sure how to suss out what the next step(s) is/are. In this case, I see my immediate options for this writing space to


  • return to more study and philosophy
  • write more about my past/history
  • write more about my current real life
  • do creative writing assignments and post them here

In the meantime, I am going to muse on Emerson's suggestion to render an account of myself to myself ... somewhere if not here.

3 comments:

  1. Having written journals for most of my life until recently I am a firm believer. But, being an introverted sort, I think they may be of most use when they are not seen by others. Paradoxically, when I most needed privacy to work out things in my diary, people were always reading it. Now, when I don't keep one , there is no one around but the Cat to read it. There's a lesson there, but I'm not sure what it is. Now that blogs make journalling (what a horrible verbalizing) public, it's all changed. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me for one, I would like to see you move in the direction of the creative writing assignments. Maybe not in place of the blog but in addition to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using facebook posts as journal posts (& occasional entries in an actual journal as well, since early teens). The advantage of the FB posts is the "status" post only allows so many characters, so I'm forced into much-needed self editing. And the writer in me likes thinking I'm being read. I have few secrets (unless I've kept them from myself), so I don't mind sharing confusions, etc.//& re: creative posts, I've often posted haiku & song lyrics. So FB has become my equivalent to your daily blog posts, though mine aren't quite daily.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...