Friday, January 28, 2011

A GOOD DAY FOR CONNECTING

This is why I try to avoid reading mysteries, I stop doing anything else. For the most part, that's another addiction overcome as I am quite sparing in my reading of them. But when my erudite and well-read friend, CXC, said that Tana French was the bomb, I couldn't resist. I'm near halfway through The Likeness and although it is almost 500 pages, I'll bet I am finished by the end of the weekend.


Today, I took a deep breath, bit the bullet, and plunged into the deep end (!). I steeled myself for calling NJ unemployment to find out WTF with my last check. And also to see how long my unemployment would last. It takes focus and dedication to get through to such a popular bureaucracy. If you work at it enough, even pushing random extensions, you MIGHT get to be on hold. Then it is just a matter of waiting for at least 30 minutes. They make the hold music as bad as they can: some low-rent Jersey hair band music. Truly. You daren't put down the received for fear of losing the connection and finding yourself back at square one. Frightening. Not a task for the weak of resolve.


I got through! Got my missing check (or a promise of it)! And found out that I have about 25 weeks of unemployment ahead. We will all, (right?), be focused on that not being necessary.


And instead of a celebratory drink, I am treating myself to a pizza and a guilt-free read. Now, I have to get Miep out of the reading chair again.


Dreamfarm had this to add about my last post:

Loneliness does not come from being alone, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important, said Carl Jung.


I do think there is something to that. Not being able to be "met" or connected with makes you feel lonely and alone, even in a a crowd. Of course, depression casts a nothingness over life wherein all seems unimportant. Except, perhaps your pain.


Thanks to my good friends out there, I am not feeling too depressed tonight. Back to County Wicklow, Ireland. There's a place there called Crone Beg.

2 comments:

  1. :-) I like your post, not because you mentioned me, but because you had risen outside of yourself and saw the humor of the drama once again. A friend of mine says to me all the time, "Always choose love." And you are loving yourself with your insight, humor, writing and enjoyment of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mysteries are one of my favorite addictions. I'd by happy to fuel your habit with suggestions on series to read. Brother Terry will pitch in as well.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...