Tuesday, July 26, 2011

SMOKIN' MAMAS

I am always thirsty. Just sayin' ...

So, smoking moms. And I don't mean smoking hot moms. I mean mothers who blithely smoke around their children. I know, I didn't think it happened anymore. But yesterday I saw a mother speaking most animatedly on her cel phone as she rushed down the street, screeching into the telephone and smoking. Her daughter tried to keep up with her. For awhile, the mother held her daughter's hand and her cigarette in the same hand.

We have come so far that the sight was literally shocking to me. I felt as if I needed to tell the child to get away from the smoker. That I needed to intervene as I would if I saw someone hitting a child or abusing in another fashion. I think the my shock translated into some sort of energy as the smoker looked at me askance and narrow-eyed. I climbed the steps and watch them scurry down 8th Avenue.

As I was climbing up the subway stairs and heading down 8th Avenue this evening, a homeboy with dropped drawers and dripping and swaygering headed towards me. He had a look that I would be wary of, mostly because he looked angry. There could have been something in his gait, too. Before I could check myself for racial/sartorial profiling, I noticed the very pregnant woman just steps behind him. Very pregnant and SMOKING. Puffing away, as sure as you are born.

I do believe it has been DECADES since I last saw a pregnant woman smoking a cigarette, except on Mad Men. In real life, it is very nearly obscene.

Other than that, not too much to reflect on. I need to get into bed and try to get some sleep as I have disturbed my rhythm with a little too much drinking. I only had one beer today, but I made up for the sugar with Jelly Bellys and a Rainbow Sorbet Pop-up (I thought it was going to be ice).

1 comment:

  1. I had a friend when I was pregnant who was pregnant at the same time and was smoking. I offered to pay her not to smoke but she wouldn't take it. One of her children had had a heart problem caused by maternal smoking. On the other hand, it is an addiction as much as dope or booze (or medieval french). I had no trouble giving up anything since they all enhance nausea (especially the medieval french).

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...