Friday, July 22, 2011

HOT HERE

There is a certain "pling" sound that New Yorkers recognize as the sound of scaffolding pipe being unloaded. One hears it quite a bit in certain neighborhoods in the summer as it is commonly used to put up tents and booths at the all-too-frequent street fairs that are a hazard of city life.

However, Eighth Avenue is not really a street fair kind of street.

And then there was the oddly feeble sound of a jackhammer. Feeble and jackhammer do not so often collaborate in my vocabularly. A jackhammer fueled with gerbil power? At any rate, inasmuch as it was annoying first thing on this hot morning, it was also kind of amusing.

My amusement allotment for annoyances will likely run out early today as the heat rises.

I just checked on the jackhammering project. Someone is renovating their sidewalk for some reason. As I like these folks who own a small, two-story building across the street and seem to be renovating it, my impatience dissipates further.

As for the rest of the day ... hot. I finally gave up, went upstairs to the a.c. and watched the last four episodes of Treme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...