Sunday, November 6, 2011

SUNDAY MORNING

From J:
Fire going in the woodstove, cleaning up a bit downstairs, listening to 72' Part 2.
Perfect Sunday morning.

Thanks for that.



So shortly after I received that, I sat down in the Queen Anne chair because Cooder wanted some petting. At the top of the books piled on the floor was, at random, a  poetry anthology. This was the first poem in the book.


Those Winter Sundays

Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he'd call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love's austere and lonely offices.


— Robert Hayden

Angle of Ascent: New and Selected Poems, Liveright, 1975

2 comments:

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...