Sunday, November 6, 2011

AUTRE FOIS, OTRA VEZ


The wish to lead out one’s lover must be a tribal feeling; the wish to be seen as loved is part of one’s self-respect.
Elizabeth Bowen, The Death of the Heart

I’m on the Metro North train, Hudson line, headed up to Rhinebeck for an evening and a day of work with Louise. I came up with a couple more half-ideas today. I have my back to the river, … that seems as if I am missing an opportunity.


That Bowen observation is interesting. I have wondered about love and being seen. The feeling of being met in your heart and soul and intellect is something beyond rare, incomparable, to be sure.

And while we are on the subject, what is beyond rare on the continuum of quality and cosmic-iticy?
Which reminds me of one of the nicknames I had during my (long) period of being a Dead Head. There is a particular contingent that still refers to me as “Cosmic” or “Cosmic Sally” … I had thoroughly forgotten about all of those personas. There are many more, Sally Sometimes being the most notorious.

Well, as long as I am just digressing up a storm, I might as well cop to my ruminations of the past few days about the Grateful Dead. I think I was doing some research for the music/record business project and somehow discovered that there had been a second release of Dead music from their 1972 tour, perhaps the apex of their creativity. I managed to get my hands on it and then began a spate of music conversations about the merits and sublimities of the Dead. (Also, for anyone sensitive to harmony and tone, the sublimities of the Dead is likely not a possible concept.)

As I confessed to SC in a inebriated email (writing version of drunk dialing?), the Dead meant something to me, for me, about me that I am utterly loathe to admit or discuss in my adult life. But when I hear the music from their best periods, I am utterly touched and moved. Perhaps that music is too redolent of my young and innocent self for any mature, cynical denial. Notes heard before, yet still shot through with expectation, hope, and wonder. I was quite shaped by my obsession with the band, not unlike many others. But I never did the "tour" thing, only saw them a lot in California. And by the late 1970's, I had moved on to The Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, and The Sex Pistols.



I wonder, if, when I reread this, I will see a connection with the Elizabeth Bowen quote.


Cosmo by firelight.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely thought-provoking. Seemingly more relative to young love, as opposed to love that has matured over some amount of years. Although my grandparents and great aunts and uncles still walk happily arm-in-arm at weddings, etc. Puts a warm glow on everything else.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...