Saturday, February 12, 2011

A SMALL PANOPLY O' PHILOSOPHY

The rising sun on the red brick buildings out my window this morning was stunning. Golden red is always striking against sky blue, but all the more so for the rarity of such a sight in these grey cold days. Looking down at the street, of course, there are still filthy mounds of stubborn snow, and filthy cars as well. But for a moment ...

As I have previously mentioned, the fabulous smart book club I have been recently invited to join is reading Sarah Bakewell's How to Live or A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at An Answer. I only acquired the book last week, thinking I had until next Thursday to read but no! our group is meeting on Tuesday. I have a lot to read in the next two days.

I haven't read much philosophy. I have been required to read Plato for more than one class, but, truthfully, barely understood what I was reading. I remember my dorm neighbor (hi, Laurie!) who was a French major having those intimidating editions of Montaigne around. I always assumed it would be far over my little head.

This Bakewell book is a good introduction, I think. Not only do I now want to read Montaigne's essays, but am keenly interested in reading the Stoics as well. I had no idea that their philosophy had any correlation to some of the Buddhist/Eastern thought. I imagine these are not good translations as I grabbed them off an internet quote site, not necessarily renowned for erudition.

Do not seek to bring things to pass in accordance with your wishes, but wish for them as they are, and you will find them. Epictetus 


That sounds like "be in the moment" and "go with the flow" to me.


All philosophy lies in two words, sustain and abstain. Epictetus 


Freedom is not procured by a full enjoyment of what is desired, but by controlling the desire. Epictetus


If virtue promises happiness, prosperity and peace, then progress in virtue is progress in each of these for to whatever point the perfection of anything brings us, progress is always an approach toward it. Epictetus


I suppose you never can tell where the guidance for your practice might arise.

1 comment:

  1. I am following you. Finding freedom by controlling your desires is very Buddhist -- but it would be put differently -- a path of non-attachment.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...