Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'M JUST A SOUL WHOSE INTENTIONS ARE GOOD

"The way you get to know yourself is by the expressions on other people's faces, because that's the only thing you can see, unless you carry a mirror about. But if you keep saying 'I' and they're saying 'I,' you don't get much out of it. They're not really into you, or we, or they; they're into I. 
- Gil Scott-Heron, in New York Is Killing Me by Alec Wilkinson, The New Yorker, 8/9/10

Hmmm. Having just been in a conference situation this struck at least a chord of interest. Everyone runs running around, any kind of focus, from eye contact to actual attention and attending to what's being said, is ephemeral and peripheral. And that's not throwing out any blame. I figure I do it too. But I am aware of it.

How much direct attention to we give one another anyway? My friend Rebus called me on multi-tasking while I was conversing with him on the telephone. And it's true I rarely do only one thing at once. I mean, I even dream while I sleep ...

This is how I feel today:

But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood



(Listen here.)


Or unemployed. Or underpaid. Or undervalued.

On another note, I am heading to the hills in the morning and I might not be able to post. Gasp! If not, I should back at it by Tuesday night.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a hello when you get back. Have a lovely weekend and I will be thinking about what you said.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...