Wednesday, February 9, 2011

SLOGGING DAYS

We all need Slog Days just as much as we need mental health days.

And why aren't there holidays for those folks/figures who we REALLY relate to? Like Sisyphus? Sisyphus is more of a god than Zeus or Neptune. (Am I mixing my Greek and Roman here? Better check.) Poseidon. Anyway, Sisyphus, the god of eternal tasks and vocational frustration, right? Groundhog Day all over again.

And Athena has clearly left not only the USA but likely the planet. Signs of intelligent life seem to be diminishing.

I digress from my digression.

Here's some news: even when you are unemployed and have seemingly endless amounts of free time, Sisyphus and Slog still rule. Maybe less than the hard-working employed, but when you are left to yourself, and single, who else do you have to direct the angst and venom at but yourself? The unemployed can't even use shopping and expensive (or any) restaurants as momentary soothers. No dull lullaby there.

I'm only slightly facetious here. But today was a Slog Day and damn it! I want my reward ... or respite. Always so much to do.

In a less whiny tone, I have spent the day as Sisyphsus. Through paperwork, more misfiled and random compact discs than most of you have seen outside a Tower Records close-out sale, and countless bits of half-conceived/half-started projects, I sorted, tossed, assessed and some went back to bin of  "I'm-ignoring-this-now. (Hades? Maybe we need to rewrite these myths.)  All is akimbo. But I sense the light at the end, even if I can't see it yet.

I did some emotional slogging today, too. Maybe that's what's got me snarty (snarling/nasty) tonight. Still letting the information, the tears, the realization percolate through the consciousness and reality.

But! the kitchen is clean. Progress was made. And tomorrow is another day. Maybe what I need is a short walk around the 'hood for perspective.

1 comment:

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...