Sunday, February 20, 2011

BE HERE BREATHING NOW

Day Three of Adirondacks Getaway.

As it turns out, getting away from yourself is rather enjoyable, too. I realize that this is dangerous. Up here in the land of snow, woodstoves, a fire across the room with iron owls glowing in the grate, and something that smells pretty great in the oven, it's easy enough to not think about rent, the challenges of selling your old-self in the marketplace, lack of work, taxes dues, health insurance, and retirement funds.

I think I will take a deep breath, opt for "be here now," and think about the peace of mind I can bring back.

Gosh, I could even extend to the grateful stage for being in the company of new friends (I just met Liz and Larry and Jane Anne, the rat terrier) who just happen to have two cool abodes in the Adirondacks. I had scrapple today for the first time from an awesome (and I don't use that term lightly) local smokehouse, Oscar's. This is the sort of place that would bring tears and tremors of pleasure to many of my foodie friends. Liz and Larry took me there so I could get some of THEIR FRESHLY-SMOKED, PULLED FROM A LOCAL RIVER TROUT. Ah yes. New York sharp cheddar aged-in house.

And hey! Turns out they have wireless here in Pottersville. Not to mention amazingly awesome chocolate chips cookies, 21-year Balveine single malt, and innumerable other amenities that I am returning to.

Check out this version of Gimme Shelter with Fergie and Mick. (Find the DVD as these are all badly recorded and the HBO version is killah.)

2/20/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...