Sunday, February 20, 2011

HEADING FOR THE HILLS


You know the first time I traveled out
in the rain and snow,
- In the rain and snow.
I didn't have no payroll...

On the road again. Sitting on a stopped train somewhere south of Poughkeepsie, NY.

Although I have been to the northeastern parts of New York in the snow, I have never seen the Hudson River (actually an inland, tidal sea) frozen with lots of ice. And although  I have taken the train along here many times, it is completely different in shades of white and grey. Broken down mansions and skeletons of buildings from earlier centuries sit on the palisades and hills of the far shore. When all is verdant, these specters are barely visible.

Just a little out of urban NYC, we passed one crumbling brick house, once clearly ornate and fancy on a very small island (islet?) not far off the mainland. In the mist and snow, against the limited palette of grays, the remaining structure stood silently screaming wreckage and decay, kind of a visually noisy Miss Haversham, in a near exile.

Enough waxing. You just can’t see nearly as much most of the year because of all the foliage. It is a cool train ride. I hate flying and all the time spent at the airport is a barely bearable mini-Hell, not to mention being on the flight. But I get a bit excited taking the train. Yes, it takes more time, but it is so much more comfortable and civilized. And the air is much better.

I often complain about being tired, but it generally late at night. I had to drag myself out of bed at 5:30 to wake up, finish packing, and get to Penn Station to get the 8:15 train. Maybe I am being tired in advance as Larry wants to stay up late listening to music and watching videos.

2/18/2011

1 comment:

  1. I love the train, with similar hatred of flying & airports. Love your description of the Hudson which I've never seen, & which my ancestors undoubtedly saw much of through most of the 1700s...

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...