Tuesday, February 22, 2011

NIGHT IN A SNOWIEST PLACE

Did you all know that Albany, New York is one of the snowiest places in the United States? I am here to testify that this is so. It is colder here than in Pottersville. And I lost one of my favorite earrings. Crapola.

Kimmie suggested that I was on on an Adirondack vision quest. Hmmm … more like an indulgence quest, although after the 23-hour marathon, Larrry. Liz, Jane Anne, and I kept it relatively low key. Our indulgences were primarily in the eating arena, with antique/junk store foraging a robust second. Crackling fires, movies, quiet, and contentment.

For those of you, and that included me until last Friday, who have never seen a substantial lake frozen over, it is something to behold. The tonal beauties of light and shadow of bare trees, ice, and snow in the golden afternoon light are an intense delight. The thicket of trees flashing by in the train windows was nothing short of mesmerizing.

A dinner tonight at a first class Albany restaurant, The Point. Followed by merriment, literature, and music discussion.

And I sigh as I head back to my life and those issues I left behind not so many days ago. One more two-hour train ride, some heavy luggage wrassling, seven flights of stairs back in Park Slope, and then a substantial nap with the kitties. Cooder will sit on my shoulder and curl up in my arms purring. Miep will curl in the curve of my back.

I will wake on Wednesday, back at home.


2/21/2011

2 comments:

  1. Awwww....
    Don't you just love being welcomed home by the kitties?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sparking my curiousity... In looking up Pottersville on Google (satellite) maps & seeking roads from there to Argyle where my 1700s ancestors lived (1739 - 1800+), I found, near Argyle, "McNeil Road", my family's spelling. I'd love to get up there & poke around someday...

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...