Monday, February 14, 2011

HE'P ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT?

You've heard it mentioned and now you can see it! The messy desk! Not really live and in person, but as my friend Charlie would say about a non-messy space, "This is where the magic happens." 

It looks A LITTLE BETTER because I did a little cleaning up and organizing. There's more white space.

But I had a day of funkiness ... and not in the "Everything I do gohn' be funky from now on" way. I was in a combination of a snit and a depressed-ish fugue-ish state with a dose of self-destruction (I didn't go for a walk and I drank some red wine. So there!). I didn't do much of anything that would be good for me or further me except file/do my unemployment claim and move some boxes and furniture around my living room.

Instead of reading or filing or getting business cards made or anything tangible, I became focused on, and lost myself in making a new cd mix (not finished yet) in "honor" of our romantic holiday, tentatively titled "The Love I Lost" ... big fun, right. 

I used to make a lot of mixes and have pretty much stopped for a variety of reasons. But I was tearing through my CD collection today, 3000+, like a person possessed. Even though I knew I had other things, pressing things, to attend to.

I watched Big Love instead of reading (about) Montaigne. (I may be the first and only person in history to write that sentence.)

Yes, buttons were pushed. The "failed romance" on the romantic holiday button, the looking at taxes button, and the "a-cat-needs-a-home-or-will-be-sent-to-its-death-because-the-new-baby-is-allergic-and-can-you-help?" button. I think there are only a few buttons UNpushed. 

So, I will leave you and this unfinished bummer mix (but some beautiful stuff). Here's where I turned it off: Kris.


  

2 comments:

  1. I felt lacerated by your friend's cat message. since I was kicked out of my place that allowed cats, I've been living with an illegal cat (cats not allowed), and I'm allergic to cats, and alex is allergic to cats. Poor cats, poor us. I love your mix tapes, even if they're taking you away from what you should be doing. solitary st. v's day, didn't even share romantic songs w/ the class, just told them to find a love song in spanish that they liked (one student said, "can I find one I hate?" I said, "sure." On to the unromantic part of the year.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...