Sunday, December 4, 2011

NOT DESPAIR OF


 we do not
Know the connection between
The clock we are bound to obey
And the miracle we must not despair of 

(Auden, Age of Anxiety)


Jeff Nunokawa quoted this poem as part of his daily FB "meditation" on life. I don't really know the poem, but damn(!) that hits fairly squarely where I am squatting (or I am in a psychic state of duck and cover?). And then, of course, there is that pretty crummy late Grateful Dead song, I Need A Miracle


(I was at that show! ... Bob was in his Gloria Steinem, rather than his Yosemite Sam, mode. You can't possibly watch that whole video, it goes on for 11 minutes and there might be a drum solo in the middle.)


I digress! I digress! I really cannot tell how the clock is ticking and/or for whom the bell tolls. If there is preparation for the situation in which I find myself, I did not perceive it, really. One never knows what a trade-off or a decision will cost when the story moves on. Even more challenging and disheartening, even frightening, is not knowing whether the struggle is going to be worth it. If the other side will be gained or seen or ... what? Is my goal, my salvation, my whatever-reward-peace-of-mind-cessation-of-misery-money-in-the-bank within reach, reasonable attainment, right beside me, on its way? What don't I see or know? What small change, adjustment, inflection will help me? 


What to do? What to do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...