Thursday, December 1, 2011

LET DOWNS AND EROSIONS


I finally gave in. I went upstairs to watch some tv. I tried to get caught up on The Walking Dead, but I am too fragile to watch anything depressing. So I watched the last two episodes of Men of A Certain Age. That was sad because it has been cancelled, but at least it existed.

Very rough for all kinds of reasons. I haven't been, but I feel as if I have had another crying day. Perhaps that is the nature of processing things. I hope that's what this is.

Some good things happened, too. The author whose book I am trying to option, wrote to me to ask me if I had contacted the agent (we have been in touch). I woke up at 7:30, actually got out of bed, and took my loop walk even though I was leaving the house later in the day and would do more walking then. I found two missing pairs of tweezers when I cleaned. I vacuumed! I read some French. And my friend Robert called.

John sent me a Seamus Heany poem in honor of it being December and all. This verse hit home:

How did I end up like this?
I often think of my friends'
Beautiful prismatic counselling
And the anvil brains of some who hate me.


The rest of the poem is at the end of this post.

So, I am going to keep this short tonight as it is already 9:30 and I am determined to find the winter clothes and get the humidifier cranked up.

I also took some very swweeeet photos. I'll save a couple for tomorrow.









Exposure
Seamus Heany

It is December in Wicklow:

Alders dripping, birches
Inheriting the last light,
The ash tree cold to look at.

A comet that was lost
Should be visible at sunset,
Those million tons of light
Like a glimmer of haws and rose-hips,

And I sometimes see a falling star.
If I could come on meteorite!
Instead I walk through damp leaves,
Husks, the spent flukes of autumn,

Imagining a hero
On some muddy compound,
His gift like a slingstone
Whirled for the desperate.

How did I end up like this?
I often think of my friends'
Beautiful prismatic counselling
And the anvil brains of some who hate me

As I sit weighing and weighing
My responsible tristia.
For what? For the ear? For the people?
For what is said behind-backs?

Rain comes down through the alders,
Its low conductive voices
Mutter about let-downs and erosions
And yet each drop recalls

The diamond absolutes.
I am neither internee nor informer;
An inner émigré, grown long-haired
And thoughtful; a wood-kerne

Escaped from the massacre,
Taking protective colouring
From bole and bark, feeling
Every wind that blows;

Who, blowing up these sparks
For their meagre heat, have missed
The once-in-a-lifetime portent,
The comet's pulsing rose.





1 comment:

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...