Tuesday, September 20, 2011

STILL TUESDAY EVENING

Still Tuesday evening.

And another thing. I have fallen back into the alcohol consumption habit. On a general scale, this does not mean that I am drinking the volume I once did. But after the waning months of summer, when things are lax, I find that I think about it on an evening.

I had quite stopped the habit, well, at least it seemed so to me. I was not drinking or having alcohol in the house. I had even stopped thinking about it. But it's back, that impulse or desire to have a glass of something.

Some of it is boredom. Some of it is, maybe being alone, more than being lonely. A time-filler. A buffer. A duller. And an enhancer.

Tonight I had the reason to go out even, and that could have included buying some beer at the least. I am almost out of half-and-half. I even have extra reason, given that I have a toothache and that whiskey is recommended as an analgesic.

I resisted. I am trying to rechannel that energy. I am thinking that, at this point, I need to be as fiscally conservative as I can.

So, I will eat a popsicle (not the ones I really love), play with Emmylou, take some benadryl, and maybe get another chore or two done before I retire. My new, anti-procrastination mantra is: Why not today?

2 comments:

  1. take it a step further--why not now

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter's always saying "today" which soon becomes tomorrow. I've started saying "right now", even if it means working half the day in my bathrobe, which I hate, but keeps me from starting projects at dinner-time...

    And re: alcohol, I'm sure I still drink more than I should, but I've found that single malts have helped me limit my drinking...I love them, they are expensive & not to waste; I do not want to drink any when I'm not paying attention to the taste, and I can easily make a little pour go a long way. Increasingly we only buy alcohol we can't afford these reasons. Besides, now, alcohol makes me sleepy long before I get blasted. No point in wasting limited waking hours when creativity is at stake!

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...