Thursday, September 22, 2011

A FIGHT AGAINST TOOTH DECAY

Some new level of something has been reached or breeched. My appointment at the NYU Dental Clinic this morning was set at 8:30. This necessitated being on the train to Manhattan by 7:30 as I had a couple of transfers to make.

Readers, I tell you that, although the tooth pain had dissipated, and although I did not get much sleep the night before, I got out of bed, showered, caffeinated, and was at my appointment 15 minutes early.

Shocking I know. I mean, all in a day's work for most of you stalwart souls, but this made twice this week that I broke my pattern. And I think that's a significant thing.

Going to a dental school is sure enough different than going to an experienced dentist, but I was treated, I survived, and I could pay for it. It is still too early to tell if it is all good now, and I do think there is a root canal in my not-too-distant future, but I think I feel better. Given my slow metabolism, I don't take to novacaine too quickly. I had three shots to get properly numb. I haven't felt great the rest of the day, but, hey, as I understand it, tomorrow is another one.

The rest of the day was devoted to recovering, napping, reading (I finished my 49th book of the year, Dorothy Wickenden's Nothing Daunted), watching DVDs (Modern Family, Season 2 and The Good Wife, Season 2), ironing, and playing with Emmylou.

She isn't Miep and I do miss Miep. But Emmylou is an excellent kitty.

I don't know why but I always love this gate being askance... or is it askew.

No idea what the meaning of this could be.

Self-explanatory.

A public school, no less. Love the windows.

3 comments:

  1. The school looks like something out of the Adams Family. I think the red teddy is German and iconic. It looks really familiar. Supporting the budding dental students is noble indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red bear to me looks like a grateful dead trucking bear, but you would know better than me. You have inspired me to make contact with my dentist, since I am entering the three months of the year when I am entitled to a tooth-cleaning paid by insurance. Also, should get me eyes tested and a pair of glasses made. (I currently have no spares) Sometimes care of oneself is so tiresome. I woke up with great enthusiasm at the ungodly hour of 4 am, prepared some songs for a subjunctive lesson, corrected a motley assortment of second year spanish papers. Made horchata from a mix, bought cups, put together a bag of candied popcorn for the movie I was going to show to the students, added napkins, went in early to work to print out the lyrics, xeroxed them, and then sat down to do some more prep and discovered I was beginning a migraine. I turned off the lights in the room where i was hiding and talked myself out of it. The movie was nice and dark (Devil's Back bone) and by the second year class I was over it. Home to the java sparrows, as I wonder--what kind of animal needs to be fed gravel?

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...