Monday, October 24, 2011

WAITING ON PHILOSOPHY

I had some higher and mightier things to write about today. I read. I contemplated. I thought about writing. And then I saw a long-time, never-met friend from my mixing site was in Brooklyn and somehow close to where I lived. I called up John, who had about retired for the evening, with the bait that another AOTM friend was in town. This was sufficiently enticing for him to get dressed and we went out to meet Kent and his g.f. Mary at the Double Windsor.


 A few years ago, shortly after John and Mel got married, Cliff and Helene came over from France.  We had a most outrageously fun time. Cliff and Helene were in town for four or five days and I think we hung out with them three or four times within that time. I met Cliff and Helene right when I was meeting with Scott and got hired at SEFX. In fact, we all went out to celebrate. I certainly need some employment mojo, so I could not pass up the chance to rekindle the AOTM magic.


Affinities run deep ... into your life they will creep ... to strangely paraphrase For What It's Worth. Kent and I had exchanged mixes and politics for a few years now. I had met two other folks from that website (Art of the Mix) and found them to be quite affable. So, I took a chance and so did John.


We walked in, I recognized Kent having snorkeled around his FB page, and the fun just took off.




I despair, from time to time, about being able to meet people and be spontaneous. I should remember this evening. We instantaneously began to wisecrack and chatter. Had it been a weekend evening, I am pretty sure we would still be out pounding it all down. Level heads prevailed, however, and we were able to walk away with our sobriety and dignity fairly intact.

Meanwhile, back at reality camp, I did make progress on creative outreach and even short-term job hunting. I met with my lunch crew (Ken, Charlie, and Louise).

The philosophy will have to wait.

2 comments:

  1. If you ask me, the philosophy took place. And profound it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeting up with people who are or might be in one's "tribe" is very important & satisfying, I think, especially for creative people who tend to walk a unique solo road. I did that myself tonight at an "art salon". Glad you had an equally pleasant encounter tonight, as well.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...