Tuesday, June 11, 2013

WAY TO DEAL

The SIP right after an a rainstorm.
Well, the rain stopped, at least for now. And notwithstanding my optimistic post, I did not sleep. Very frustrating. I need to change my tactics and just go to bed when I am that sleepy and hope that I sleep through the night. I have also started taking my laptop to bed, and that is a clear no-no.

So, I will trudge through the day as best I can. I did use some of my insomnia to good effect, running the dishwasher and finishing the dinner dishes. And I did some snorkeling around the internet, not that I don't do plenty of that anyway. So coffee, then litter boxes and organization as tomorrow is bulk pick up day and there may be some things that can get out.

I spent part of the day listening to lectures from my coursera History of Rock class. Little did I know that Good Lovin' by the Rascals was a cover version. Here's the original by The Olympics (interestingly part of the early Los Angeles music scene). I kind of like their ... funky, "dumpy" as my brother Carl would have called it, dirtier sound. But the Rascals had so much joy and urgency in their version it is hard not to prefer it. Plus, the Olympics did Western Movies, which I always thought was the Coasters or the Drifters or something. Which is very much fun.

And just for fun, here's George Harrison and Bob Dylan rehearsing If Not for You for the Concert for Bangaladesh. Very sweet. In the last lecture, the prof talked about Louie, Louie (here's the original which I don't believe I've ever heard). Some of you out there will remember that KALX (UC Berkeley radio station) had Louie, Louie marathons wherein you could submit a version and they would play. My old roommate, Lou, and I wanted to do a chicken-clucking version (just try it), but we lacked the recording technology (I know! Hard to believe!) and, perhaps, the necessary passion.

Cuddling with Emmylou: the view from the pillow.

Yes, it is true! Emmylou Irene Patsy Clownpaws continues to grow into adult cathood and is more regularly sleeping on the bed. She didn't exactly crawl into my arms, as Cooder does, but she did sleep with me for a good hour. Baby steps.

And Cooder! Well, just look at what she got accomplished today.





This varmint has plagued us. Not too bad for an old kitty. Emmy is still looking for it. I have been left other rodent tributes, but the vanquishing heroine has not reposed besides them (generally, I nearly step on them as I get out of bed).



Albert got a summer cut and is quite natty, although camera-shy.






There is no real way to deal with everything we lose. - Joan Didion, Where I Was From























No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...