Monday, June 24, 2013

FALLING INTO TRUTH?

Why "Take Me to the River" this morning? Is it "I haven't seen the worst of it yet"?

Yet much is pleasant here. Cooder is grooming herself in the SIP sunspot. Emmylou is meatloafing casually nearby (but come to think of it, the practice of meatloafing is, by definition, casual. There is no such thing as an anxious meatloaf, I don't believe.)

A and E are doing yoga in the front room. Maybe next time they will let me join them.



Days later. 

No idea when I started writing this post. Maybe Friday. Sigh. 

It was brutually humid today, soupy and disorienting, pretty much the whole day. A and I, were rather out of it to say the very least. I think we were both suffering from lack of sleep. I can barely recount where the day went, but I do believe substantial guest laundry and dishes were done (not together). I also got caught up on Veep and True Blood. And work on Monsterwood and my regular gig.


Bombino and Amadou and Mariam at Celebrate Brooklyn were utterly revelatory. I had seen Amadou and Mariam before, but I had not seen the unleashed beauty of Amadou's guitar playing which was on beyond formidable. The Prospect Park Bandshell crowd was as crazy and enthusiastic as I have ever seen it. A sea of a-rhythmically dancing mostly white people... but impressive nonetheless. 

I also had time to read on the train up and back. I spent some time with the New Yorker which was just lovely. Malcolm Gladwell has a most interesting book review of Worldly Philosopher: The Odyssey of Albert O. Hirschman which I recommend most highly. Hirschman had some very interesting ideas about doubt and the benefits of failure. 

"While we are rather willing and even eager and relieved to agree with a historian's finding that we stumbled into the more shameful events of history, such as war, we are correspondingly unwilling to concede—in fact we find it intolerable to imagine—that our more lofty achievements, such as economic, social or political progress, coul dhave come about by stumbling rather than careful planning .... Language itself conspires toward this kind of asymmetry; we fall into error but do not speak of falling into truth."

There's a taste. I had a lot more enthusiasm and interesting thoughts when I first read this, but days and nights have passed and it is about all I can do right now to send a link.

More soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...