Friday, April 1, 2011

IN THE BEGINNING

"In the beginning there was love. No. Love comes early, but not quite at the beginning. In the beginning, and in each of our beginnings, there was the precursor to all else: interruption. This is how love starts."
— Jenny Diski, Only Human: A Divine Comedy


That rather struck me as true. The introduction of a new feeling, a new person, even a new idea is interrupting. Some thing, some ongoing, perhaps quotidian flow of consciousness stops, pays attention, and direction is slightly altered.

A week or so ago, I wrote about looking for epiphanies and serendipity. I am always looking for that which will get me smarter, higher, richer, more amused or entertained, or more loved. An interruption in the fabric of my being that will change me. And no matter what I am going on to love, it does start this way, with a new attention, a change in focus or feeling or perception.

Went to the Knitting Factory over in Billyburg. Fun. But out of thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always complaining about interruptions. I'll try to look at them in a new light. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...