Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TAKE IT EASY

I woke up "writing" some sentence about the mechanisms of love. Then I started a dreamy, sleepy dialogue with myself about the difference between mechanisms and mechanics of love and in general. Then I wondered if anyone had written anything with that title. Then I realized I was awake so I got up before 7:00.

(I found a couple of references: Guerlain and Helen Fisher as well as a couple of short or student films with similar titles.)

I know almost everyone else gets up that early to go to work or take care of their family. I had gone to bed after 12:00 a.m. and 6:30 a.m.  is a little early for me. I knew I would be sleepy, seriously sleepy, by the mid-afternoon, but I decided I would push my boundaries a little and see what might happen.

When I am tired, I am a danger to myself and others. I lose things, walk in front of cars, ... kind of like a zombie. So I tend to baby myself about getting enough sleep. On the other hand, I would like to get up earlier and perhaps be more productive. In the interests of re-setting my biorhythms, I started the day.

I am too tired now to accurately assess whether or not I was more productive, but I did write, do a little work with Robert, get out, get up town to meet with Louise on a couple of projects, make it to therapy on time, get home, take a quick nap, make pizzas ... and CLEAN THE KITCHEN after.

Kathleen suggested that I have unreal or high expectations of what a person can get done in a day. Because I live alone, and believe me, Cooder and Miep are neither role models nor competition for activity, I don't really know how much a normal or even a garden-variety depressive person gets done in a day.

I came across this article in the NYTimes:

Go Easy on Yourself, a New Wave of Research Urges.


I read it, but I am too sleepy to really understand it.

Take it easy (not the Eagles).

4 comments:

  1. Yea those high expectations are really something. I feel a reset coming on for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think high expectations is less the problem than how we treat ourselves if/when we come up short. You don't want to be so forgiving that the expectations are meaningless, but you don't want to kick yourself too much, hell,maybe not at all, when we come up wanting. Back to balance, moderation, and reasonableness. the razor's edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you woke up writing, and said "yes" to it...!

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...