Wednesday, March 30, 2011

BIRTHDAYS, GIFTS, AND LOVE

This morning I was awakened by noises from the street. I didn't sit up nor find my glasses to look out the window at the source. It was as if a short round of a sweet sound was blowing by, momentarily stopping outside my window. The voices, female, were an interesting and melodic combination of twittering bird cacophony and the tinkle of wind chimes. Their "song", whoever they were, just went on for a minute or two, and then the general noise of morning cars and parent-child steps swelled to the forefront again.

I am still in a "feted" tizzy from the birthday wishes. My friend R took me out to a nice sushi dinner tonight.

As a child I remember being so delighted and excited by my presents that I couldn't bear to part with them even when going to sleep. When I bought my mountain bike (many years ago now), I wanted to park it in my bedroom when I slept. (I resisted the urge.) But I am so enjoying my birthday gifts, I want to take them to bed with me and pile them around. I have a silly pleased smile most of the time. I am grateful and embarrassed by these offerings of love.

"An honorable human relationship, that is, one in which two people have the right to use the word love, is a process of deepening the truths they can tell each other. It is important to do this because it breaks down human self-delusion and isolation."
— Adrienne Rich

For all of you who share with me, and for all of you with whom I share, I love you. Thanks for the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...