Tuesday, April 16, 2013

PROGRESS IS LESS IMPORTANT THAN PRESENCE

Well now. Let us see if we (that would be me) can get back to some writing.

For the first time in a long time, I relaxed this evening. I mean flat out sat around and watched some TV and fooled around with wool. I wondered why I had not done this in such a long time, but then I remembered that between the lit class and the project I am (still) working on, there really wasn't the leisure to get caught up with The Americans. "Yay!" she said.

Come to think of it, I have not really finished with the course, as I didn't listen to all the lectures yet and I also have to write a scathing review of the class and the asshat professor. Hopefully, I will have a little bit of time to get those things accomplished. And I didn't finish the philosophy course, although I liked it quite a bit. And I signed up for a programming course that I probably won't do, but I wanted to check out. But gosh! Maybe I can read for something like pleasure!

The problems and issues that have been facing my nearsanddears are ongoing, but the drama has died down for the moment. No resolution, but maybe just the eye of the storm passing over.

The forsythia is blooming. J and I looked out the kitchen window the other morning to see a cardinal perched on the forsythia and 'twas a splendid sight. I also saw a baby cardinal fly across the backyard.

I have been anxiously watching my pots and am pleased to announce that today I saw the first shoots from the bulbs! Also, two shoots from the beans (peas?) I planted stuck up their heads today. The other seeds, mostly nasturtiums have been popping up. I have more bulbs and seeds to plant, but the next big housekeeping job is to run over to the vet and get more flea meds for the kittehs so we don't go through that level of hell again.

And for whatever blindness Cooder has, she can still see motion. She and Emmylou were all focussed on a moth outside the window this evening. And she can still chase a laser light.

I used a plethora of Book Darts whilst reading The Left Hand of Darkness and before I return it, I shall share some of the pithyness with you.

" ... poor relations must be in good time ..."

"No, I don't mean love, when I say patriotism. I mean fear. The fear of the other. And its expressions are political, not poetical: hate, rivalry, aggression. It grows in us, that fear."

"... when action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep..."

"Terrans tend to feel they've got to get ahead, make progress. The people of Winter, who always live in the Year One, feel that progress is less important than presence."

"... there are things that outweigh comfort, unless one is an old woman or a cat."





No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...