Sunday, March 2, 2014

WHO'S TO SAY?

“Your nightmares follow you like a shadow, forever. ” 
― Aleksandar HemonThe Lazarus Project


Isn't it interesting that my blog post yesterday was about feeling fine and then I went and had two nightmares last night? 

One of them was about someone or something being on fire, but I think the impetus for that dream came from the opening scenes of the novel I just started, The Vanishing of Katharina Linden, wherein someone catches fire from too much hairspray on their clothing. 

(As a sidebar here, I could not remember how this one came up in the queue, and I was a bit skeptical given the last two "recommended" books I ploughed through, The Interestings and The Marriage Plot, but this one seems like a winner. Nicely written with a percolating energy.)

The other dream, which included elements of other recurring dreams like thrift stores and pets, (speaking of which Cooder is making her way as carefully as she can onto the desk, in search, I will guess, of more Greenies) had me not finishing a take-home history exam in order to graduate. That's one of my main anxiety dreams, not having graduated from college. (I did, I swear.) In this one, I was up in Schroon Lake, lusting after some vintage crockery and furniture, thinking I had pretty much finished my take home exam, only to find that it was not in my notebooks as I had thought. I had only a short while, 20 minutes, to finish a 2-exam and I didn't know what question I was supposed to be answering. I don't remember too much else except that my TA was handsome, dark-haired, and had a three-piece suit and tie.

Interpretations, anyone?

I was very relieved to wake up. 

As I did not do my curatorial gig yesterday, I will keep this short and do some actual work before I dash out for a walk before the storm arrives. I need to get started on the next volume of Proust and work on my resume today as well.

“I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?” 
― John Lennon




No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...