Well, at least there was some sun today. I walked to the library with one of the B's. I even sat in the library and read a book that I had on hold, Charles Murray's Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010. I left it the library. It wasn't that it wasn't interesting, but I am so down, so distracted that it just didn't seem worth checking out.
You see, I am thinking about leaving Brooklyn. Now that's a fairly shocking thought for me, and I very well might change my mind. Yet, I am giving it serious consideration. Something broke in me last week. I still can't say what it was with any certainty. What it felt like, feels like, is that I just can't do this entertainment business thing anymore. I might be done with making media. I might be done with the caring and carrying, the cooking up ideas, the enthusiasm, the attention, the all of it.
So, if I am a little off of my granola, that's why. Sure, the financial situation and issues around finding work is part of it. But it feels like more. I cannot remember a time since I got my first production job in 1985 that I wanted to be done with it. Maybe I am just grieving a life.
It's not as if I think life will be without stresses and strains and all, but I might be tired of trying this path.
I used to think that I needed to live in a metropolitan area for the culture, but now I am not so sure. Books and movies and DVDs and coffee and reasonable food are available in lots of places now. And it might be nice to live in a less expensive, less pressured place.
So if there is nothing here for a bit, if you don't hear from me, well, I'm likely wrestling with my angels again, looking for some comfort or a blessing or an internal voice that might make me feel right again.
I don't believe in happiness, or, at least, not as a constant state. But I don't believe that in this country and even in this time, that it has to be quite so painful. Maybe I'm wrong.
And all I actually have to offer as a writer, is my version of life. — Anne Lamott
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WHAT IS TO SURVIVE, WHAT TO PERISH
August 5 Without a doubt, my tortoise shell kitty Nina was the leader of a girl gang in a previous incarnation. I was sitting here on the b...
-
Birthday eve, but just barely. I had plans to be introspective and treat this occasion as another kind of New Year with a stock-taking and s...
-
July 20 "You cannot walk out your grief, ...or absolve yourself of your survival, or bring anyone back. You are left with the desire ...
Bring on the Booze, Baby!
ReplyDelete