Sunday, August 25, 2013

PRIVATE CYCLES

It's not exactly the cheeriest way to start the morning, at least in this instance, but Poem-of-the-Day featured this poem by a niece of Samuel Taylor Coleridge ... No instant happiness here.


"My True Love Hath My Heart and I Have His"


None ever was in love with me but grief.    
   She wooed my from the day that I was born; 
She stole my playthings first, the jealous thief,    
   And left me there forlorn. 

The birds that in my garden would have sung,    
   She scared away with her unending moan; 
She slew my lovers too when I was young,    
   And left me there alone. 

Grief, I have cursed thee often--now at last    
   To hate thy name I am no longer free; 
Caught in thy bony arms and prisoned fast,    
   I love no love but thee.

I know this frame of mind annoys or dismays many of you, but truth be told, this is often how I feel. And I think Mary Elizabeth Coleridge was singing the blues here. Anyone of you musicians out there want to set this to music? I think it's got the makings of a hit.


Another Sunday, work to do, walks to take, prep for trip to Schroon Lake. LD gave me a pedometer and I will be damned if I can figure out how to set the damn thing. I put it away for a couple of weeks and re-addressed, but I still can't make it work. I'll just have to walk without knowing WTF.

MOZ sent an interesting article from the Huffington Post yesterday, 23 Signs You're Secretly an Introvert. (Evidently, this one is making the digerati rounds.) Louise and I have had long conversations about introversion and how we have to work to overcome this. I have been labelled as an extrovert and have had to disabuse close friends from time to time about how I really feel. We do learn to compensate, sometimes perhaps too well, and thus folks make false assumptions about us. Most of these statements are true, except for maybe #12, as I am always trying to be good at everything and have far too many interests. I do particularly like the last sentence, which is true for introverts, extroverts, and all other stops along the continuum, "We all have our own private cycles." Yep. 

Birthday shout out to my spiritual sister in Kansas, Ms. Pamela. And out to Anna K. in Prescott. Love to you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...