Monday, May 27, 2013

WE SEEM TO ATTRACT DEAD ANIMALS HERE


Here's the movie theater.
"Joey D is a serious camper." (Overheard at Miriam's Morningstar Cafe. This was said in a pure Brooklyn 'hood accent.)

"Where does one learn to be a character? Upbringing or innate?"

"We seem to attract dead animals here."

"You know what I love? Ace Hardware!"

Here's the street. This was an accident.


These were things I have heard and managed to get down in the last five days here in the Adirondacks. 

Der cabin.
Mr. Volny and I are seated at the kitchen table in Pottersville, reading and listening to music while L naps and L does work. I haven't had very good internet connectivity so doing my curating job and writing here has been challenging. 

The weather has been quite overcast if not outrightly rainy for most of the time we've been here. It's sunnier today, but already getting nippy. We had heard a weather report that it would be down to 20 degrees tonight, but last I checked, the prediction was more like 37.

The woods and the stream outside the cabin.


Yesterday we braved the weather and drove out to Fort Ticonderoga. What a beautiful setting. It was just too damn cold to linger outside given that I was slightly underdressed.







 So, we had nice naps, good meals, lots of wine, beer, Mr.P's Mountain Smokehouse goodies, and laughter. Mr. Volny and I both got lots of reading done. I finally finished the Virginia Woolf, Night and Day. That was a book wherein it always seemed as if I were 50 pages from the end ... an ever-receding horizon of completion. And I managed to get through the end of The Storm of Swords, too! Now, I have about 8 days to read 165 pages of The Brothers Karamazov. I do feel reading "unburdened" though. 

Not sure what we are doing on our last evening. Looking forward to seeing the Brewster peeps and the kittens. And on to the next?

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to visit up there sometime. I had ancestors in that area during the Revolution...

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...