Monday, March 18, 2013

APROPOS OF NOTHING

I know. Where have I been?? Mostly here. Mostly listening to lectures, reading, and fretting about homework.

We had snow again this evening, although it was not as lovely as the snow on Saturday night which had "flakes as big as baby chicks" as one friend said (not actually about this snowfall, but apt nonetheless).

Happily happily happily, and there isn't much happily in my life presently, my literature course has only three weeks left. This week, as I might have mentioned, we read Edgar Rice Burroughs (A Princess of Mars) and Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Herland).

I didn't read Burroughs as a young young'un, although I remember, quite clearly, that Michael and David read this one and several others. I was likely too busy reading Marguerite Henry, Anna Sewell, and Walter Farley. It wasn't until I fell in love with Mr. Butler that I read Tarzan at his behest. I was pretty well hooked on Burroughs although I don't think I made it all the way through the Barsoom Series.

Apropos of nothing really, reading was one of the more fun aspects of that relationship (and there was a lot that was and still is fun there). Although I am a faster and arguably more voracious reader than Mr. B, we did try to be reading the same book at the same time to better enjoy the books and one another. This was made a bit more challenging by the aforementioned speed of consumption on the party of the first part. We did read The Alexandria Quartet, and two John Fowles books, The Magus and Daniel Martin. I have been thinking of re-reading The Alexandria Quartet, as I think I was too young to really understand the psychology therein. Oh, and I think we read some Walker Percy, too, likely The Moviegoer.

Okay, how is that for random drivel?

Too cold to walk Albert much today, although I did take him for a ride when I went to the post office and the library. I have to read Virginia Woolf's Night and Day for my book group next Tuesday, and The Martian Chronicles for the lit class. Over the weekend, I listened to the rest of the philosophy lectures for the first week and tried to read Socrates' Apologia, but did not get finished with it.

I made a great easy dish, White Bean and Tuna Salad, which I highly recommend as being good for dieters and a snap to make.

Kittehs are fine, except for the ongoing Greenies problem. I cannot tell if Cooder is losing weight or I am being fussy. She certainly has an appetite, so that is a good thing. Emmylou got out again! Richie spied her from the upstairstv bathroom walking through the back just before the sunset snowfall on Saturday evening. Fortunately, she is responsive and was not difficult to recapure.

And there! You are pretty much caught up with me.

Oh! I remember why I wasn't writing much last week! My mom was sick and even took a trip to the ER. She seems to be getting better but I had best check on her before I go to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...