Wednesday, July 21, 2021

ALL THE COMFORT I CAN GET

 81 of #100daychallenge

Wednesday, 6:36

We end up going to bed early, probably to escape one another in this small room. (Why didn't I look into AirB&B?) And why do I have Yakety-Yak in my head this morning? I am trying to boil water on a hot plate. I have my doubts that I will get any espresso in the room this morning. (It worked.)

Mom is still trying to sleep. She and David had tough nights. David had a nightmare or something, crying out. He has significant neuropathy as a result of a bad case of shingles and often can't sleep. Mom coughed for a long time. Fortunately, David had shared half of a gummy, so I did okay in the deep sleep department.

And so begins another day.

That evening. 7:00 p.m.

Anita had a caregiver named Tim. Tim had access to the apartment. When we got there on Monday, her cell phone, wallet, purse, laptop, cameras, and 60" tv had been stolen. Tim has come around a few times and all of us agree he is a shady character. He immediately started taking things like a Miele vacuum cleaner and a lot of medical equipment. David and I feel as if we have to nail things down so Tim doesn't suck them up. Very creepy. I reported the burglary today. 

Here we are, all three, in our little room passing the evening. Rachel Maddow is on. David is curled on his bed, thinking about an evening shower. Janet is between dozing and watching the news. It is very muggy and we expect a short storm. 

I can't remember what I said about this motel room, but the sleazy polyester bedspreads are rife with tiny (cigarette?) holes. I brought some cotton sheets from Anita's house to make the bed a bit cozier, for me at least. You have to take your dirty towels to the front and hope there are clean towels for them to give you. The man at the front desk is very very surly. The bathroom has neither towel racks, a toilet seat that closes, nor a fan. It's the little things, kids.

Anita's car needed $1500 of work to get it road worthy for David. This weekend is the big Utah holiday, Pioneer Days, so his car might not be done until Monday. We took four big loads of stuff to the Goodwill today, but there is still a lot of work to do. I figured out that the Chevy Traverse I rented will take 24 bankers boxes of Anita had one room that was just full of boxes from her move last March (2020). The layers in there include my sister's pictures from high school and her ashes. Decisions, decisions.

David and I have both sworn to get out shit together when we get home. We have found nary a piece of official paperwork for Anita and we could really use that pink slip. Something were organized, but the organization stopped a couple of years ago.

I wish I could find a place to read. I have my earBuds in just to dim the noise of MSNBC. Now I have some Aretha going on, but I really need to return some 'phone calls and listen to messages.

I am drinking beer here.

Still feels as if the world is falling apart, what with more climate change disasters, round two of the pandemic, and the usual ridiculous DC posturing. Makes me glad I went to the trouble of getting this bed here more comfortable as I need all the comfort I can get.




1 comment:

  1. !500 for repairs on a Toyota Camray. Is it worth it? Whatyear is it? What the blue book value on that car? You might be better off trading it in or selling it (not that you're in a position to do that). !500 sounds like a lot. I would try to negociate that down. They're playing hardball with you.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...