Sunday, May 30, 2021

WAITING TO BE

 41 of #100daychallenge

Music shapes and fundamentally changes us. Once we have listened we do not stop. We do not ever recover from music. We will return again and again to the radio, the record store, the bedroom where girls listen to music all day.

— Rickie Lee Jones, Last Chance Texaco

I had a quiet day today, with naps, some reading, some ironing, some laundry, a little bit of gardening, and substantially more television than I have viewed in weeks. Part of me is frustrated with the lack of forward motion where it is really needed, but perhaps I need a bit of break.

On Saturday night, I went to have dinner with Rand and Lydia. That was the usual pleasant and loving evening. I never really know what we talk about besides politics and aging mothers, but the time flies by. We were playing rummy and Rand was kicking our asses as usual. We don't always pay a lot of attention to the background music, but for some reason, it was more part of the mix last night. Then their best friends came to pick up their dogs who R&L had been dogsitting. 

Without much ado and with some armangac, we were suddenly dancing to the Buena Vista Social Club. Roy and Rand provided some additional percussion. It was really fun. Old people can have fun, too.

Rickie Lee's quote at the beginning here resonated with me very much. Listening to and sharing music with people is fairly rare for me these days, but it is an activity I never tire of. And I very much recall hanging out in the bedroom Kim shared with her sister Pam, for hours at a time. Joni Mitchell's Ladies of the Canyon and Blue and Laura Nyro's Christmas and the Beads of Sweat are the ones I remember the clearest. I would bet that Crosby, Stills, and Nash and Deja Vu were in high rotation as well. We would listen to the radio hoping that Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well would magically appear. I did my listening to the Dead at home.

HIDE AND SEEK


It’s hard not

to jump out

instead of

waiting to be

found. It’s 

hard to be

alone so long

and then hear

someone come

around. It’s

like some form

of skin’s developed

in the air

that, rather

than have torn,

you tear.


— Kay Ryan, The Best of It: New and Selected Poems, Grove Press, New York, 2010

1 comment:

  1. It's funny. I pulled out a box of CDs from our move last week to see if I had forgotten to add any to my itunes playlist. I had so much more before the imac died, and the pc seems to be lacking in that I'm missingmusic I had added over the years. Buena Vista Social Club was one of them and I found it was already part of my compilation. I first heard about them while working on What Dreams May Come. K gave me a copy to listen to as she raved about them. That was 1999, it seems like another life and a lifetime ago.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...