Monday, May 17, 2021

ON TASK

28 of #100daychallenge




















Not wanting to be lame nor whiny, but this public writing can be tiring and demanding. Several are the evenings within 28 days wherein one did not want a single more thing to be responsible to/for/at. I did try to get my 30 minutes of reading in today, but only made it to 17 minutes. I could easily, readily put my. hand upon my chin and fall asleep right now.

Although this may make for some reading (probably not good or compelling), keeping the positive and editorial standards on task is beyond me.

So, I am not going to try any further tonight.

The next morning.

Well, that was a useless snit. I did my reading for today and then some and will try to write something of more substance later in the day..

I finally (!!) finished Joe Smith's Off the Record: An Oral History of Popular Music. Some of it was good and it does give a good foundation for understanding the music marketplace. There is not very much of substance about the MUSIC.

“Metal is a suburban, rural music. It is fantasy oriented. Suburban kids are stuck in their houses. They are frustrated by the tract housing, the similar middle-class or lower-middle-class existence. So they look for ways to escape. The black kids go for sports and the white kids go for rock ’n’ roll. Rock ’n’ roll is not exclusively for whites, but there is a certain white mentality about it.


— Dee Snider of Twisted Sister


That is probably not rocket science nor terribly revealing, but I was struck by the actual near-intelligence of the statement as well as the Snider's analysis of boredom and fantasy. It just never occurred to me that some kind of excitement and fantasy were elements to look for in music. I am so focussed on musicality, art, truth, and beauty, alternative interests didn't enter into my pea brain.


I am not up to exploring this anymore today, but I am considering what Dee had to say. 





1 comment:

  1. There is definitely an element of truth in Dee's statement. Albeit an incredibly dated one. I'm wondering, in the last ten years has there a been a successful rapper not from the suburbs or off the Disney train? Things to ponder while taking and bagging needles. Thanks for your efforts. I'm not willing to put my task driven "art" out there publicly so I do really appreciate your efforts and shares.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...