Saturday, August 2, 2014

MORE SALAD, CRAZY OR OTHERWISE?




There’s a beautiful fawn standing in the sunlight, happily munching on something it probably shouldn’t at the end of the yard. I don’t know that I have ever seen a deer feeding so devotedly and contentedly as I generally spot them as death threats while I am driving. It’s a graceful creature, but having seen it feed, I am more clearly aware of its potential for devastating gardens and such. And as one heads far down the hill to the horse pasture below, another steps up to the MacDonald’s counter.

As I am sitting on the deck, I am surprised that Emmylou is not at the screen door begging to come out. She was pretty good about staying on the property in Holbrook, but the woods bordering the house are too full of birds and wildlife to contain her and if I don't watch her closely, she wanders off. 

I have to get cracking on The Charterhouse of Parma as I have 26 days to read 495 pages. That's about 20 pages a day which is not unreasonable, but I will have to stay on that. I haven't read enough yet to know if it is as dense as Proust or the Cleopatra biography I am reading. I think Stendahl is kind of funny.

M's library is going to do an exhibit of Vera Neumann watercolors which were the basis of her scarf empire. M recalled that I had quite a collection so for the past couple of days we have been looking at them. I have so many that I had put aside some to move along in some way. I gave a couple to Iris for her birthday a year or so ago. I must have 200. I am releasing the ones that are not silk mostly. But it has been a lot of fun to look at them, and some of my other treasured scarves, with M. 

On to Saturday. Stretched out on the bed with Cooder, The Charterhouse of Parma, and Cleopatra. I have work to do every where I look, but I need to read, too.





I made a lovely chopped salad last night: apple, arugula, avocado, beets, beet greens, carrots, celery, chicken, almonds toasted with sea salt and butter, red leaf lettuce, zucchini, spinach, radishes, red onion, snow peas with pomegranate vinegar/garlic/olive oil/sesame oil/gorgonzola dressing. I watched a very good movie while I chopped, which just went off Netflix today, but keep it on your radar: Skin. And then I had a dream I was chopping up Vera scarves for the salad. I had to wake up from that one.

We've had some good food this week, of course. Martha made a killer Asian cucumber sesame salad and caponata. I made sesame garlic green beans, a potato green bean frittata, and the salad. Tonight, linguine with spinach-toasted almond pesto. 

Time for more coffee and something to eat. More salad? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...