Friday, May 2, 2014

WHAT CONDITION

"Nowhere to go, and no hope of getting there."
- Cathleen Schine, The Three Weissmanns of Westport

Fortunately, at the moment, there is no where I particularly need or want to be.

It is indeed a quiet Friday night out here in Long Island. Cooder is taking the bad kitty role by sitting on the edge of the kitchen table, where I sit sipping red wine and listening to the ticks of the clock and the toaster oven where my Trader Joe's dinner is cooking. Emmylou is wandering around the floor and doing her trademark "adorable sprawl." It does tend to get attention.


I went down to Brooklyn last night, which is not such a big deal now that I got my car fixed and can drive with some security. The book group was interesting and intense, but more subdued than sometimes. There were only 2.5 bottles of wine for the five of us and I am not sure we even finished the last one. Elise had a Saint-Emilion and I think I found it very strong as I could scarcely stay awake when I got back to John's and Mel's. 

My breakfast date cancelled due to a neighborhood murder so I didn't have too much to do in town today besides go to the library and pick up a jacket that had been sitting in the dry cleaner's since December. The dry cleaner's was down the street from Evil B2 and I am still a bit loathe to go near the area. 

The sky this evening.







I took a circuitous route back out here, stopping on the way at a thrift store that I heard about (not worth going to again). As I have a bit of reading respite from Proust, I threw myself on to the bed to nap with Cooder and do some non-essential reading. The nap was delicious, natch, particularly as I did not sleep all that well last night (new sleeping arrangement syndrome). When I woke up, it was still light enough for a 45-minute walk, which I took advantage of and chatted with my mom as well. 

And that kind of brings us up to this post-dinner moment, when I think I am going to watch an episode of Turn, which I encourage you to watch before it gets cancelled. I am very much enjoying the cool Spring night and the quiet company of my cat companions.

I have the song, Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In) in my head. Now that's a weird one. Hard to believe such a cool song was performed by Kenny Rogers.



Helping me with my reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...