Wednesday, August 15, 2012

STAYING INSIDE

Afternoon nap Cooder
Oh goodness, how it rains. We here in Brewster were awakened at 4:00 a.m. to the cannonade of thunder and lightning for a good, solid hour. It was the loudest storm I have ever heard. Cooder would have no part in cuddling me, either, preferring to stay under the bed. Probably should have gotten up to sit on the screened-in porch and watched the sky. Jay says that lightning is conducted here because this is a particularly iron-rich area.

This did no good for drying out the basement either.

Photo from My Persian Kitchen.
Not entirely because it is Julia Child's 100th birthday anniversaire, but also because it is Farmer's Market day, I reached into my cookbook/notebook to make Persian Carrot Soup. This was a New York Sunday Times Magazine recipe in 1994. Those cooks among you should take notice of this one. There is a lot of chopping involved, but it is easy beyond that and floor-stomping-damn-good. I lifted this photo from another site's recipe for Persian Carrot Chicken Soup, but you get the idea. 4 whole onions = a lot of crying. (Now, if we only had some mergez on the side!) And for your listening pleasure while you cook, I might recommend Lyle Lovett's tribute to his Texas-singer songwriter brethren, Step Inside This House. And here's a link to some Julia cooking tips on Epicurious.



There is not much else to report on. Cooking cheered me today. As did the sight of all those vegetables at the Farmer's Market. As I was perusing several kinds of potatoes, I noticed this sign just behind the truck. Hmmm ... quite a bit different than the Brooklyn Public Library Farmer's Market or Union Square for that matter.



















1 comment:

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...