Thursday, November 18, 2010

WHEREIN I MUSE AFTER A STELLA ARTOIS

I should just start out by saying that, once again, I left this until the end of the day. Now, I am a Stella Artois and half a glass of Montepulciano toward sleeping and feeling not so much like writing.

This is not to say that I did not muse and ponder upon today's post, as well as what I wrote yesterday in particular. I continue to struggle with the concept of will, within and without.

Sometimes, I don't think I have much of a strong will. On the other hand, I might just be romanticizing the concept (as I do so many other things).

I do have the will to change some painful, not-really-working-or-serving-me things in my life. That feels like a "within" will directive.

As I am wont to do, I perused some of the books piled around my desk. I have a fondness for books of aphorisms and quotations. One of them is Influencing Minds: A Reader in Quotations by Leonard Roy Frank. No idea where or when I picked it up.

Does this relate to will, within and without?

"One ought ... to be part of the world and also outside it. One has to be both involved and detached at the same time."
The Kotzker (1787-1859), quoted in Abraham J. Heschel, A Passion for Truth.

A detachment for achieving the goals my will and I have set?

Or is this the mad ravings of a sleepy-time gal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...