Friday, August 27, 2021

OR IS IT SOMETHING DEEPER?


93 of #100day challenge

This one is for Sonia.

Make the Ordinary Come Alive


Do not ask your children

to strive for extraordinary lives.

Such striving may seem admirable,

but it is a way of foolishness.

Help them instead to find the wonder

and the marvel of an ordinary life.

Show them the joy of tasting

tomatoes, apples, and pears.

Show them how to cry

when pets and people die.

Show them the infinite pleasure

in the touch of a hand.

And make the ordinary come alive for them.

The extraordinary will take care of itself.


William Martin, The Parents’  Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Parents

































Today was a little bit lighter. And I gave myself leave to not do much and to do what I did do slowly. Small steps were taken. I admit to being restless at 9:30 from not getting any exercise but I will just go to bed early again. I did eleven hours last night. 


My friend Sonia kindly sent an email about yesterday's post. I hope she doesn't mind if I share:


I think the yogic philosophy would say something about finding a kind of meditative contentment to our humdrum of daily rituals. But is it our pesky prefrontal cortex that keeps us believing we are meant for more, or is it something deeper? They (more humans) say that plants and animals don't have these quandaries, they simply exist to just exist. Being alive is enough. But there we go again with our big brains assuming we know what the hell plants and animals are thinking! I don't have any good answers here, nor do I pretend to know what this phase of your life is like, just letting you know I felt that. I too find that third dimension fleeting. (And how many more are beyond that?) Keep teaching, I think it helps.❤


Of course, hearing from her gave me a third dimension for a moment.


I am afraid The Domineers are kicking Janet out of the clan. I called a couple of them this week and they didn't return my calls. I kind of meant to call them today but I didn't get around to it. I worry that she needs too much help and she can be irrationally demanding. It does seem strange for them to not be in touch with us all week nor return my calls. This makes me more sad. The Senior Center is still closed so she can't go there to make new friends.


As if I needed something else to worry about.



1 comment:

  1. Don't forget it's two weeks before Labor Day...who knows why the Domineers aren't responding. People sometimes go incommunicado around now. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...