Friday, April 30, 2021

BUT THERE YOU GO

12 of #100daychallenge











 


There's a new iPhone commercial for a purple iPhone that uses the horrible pop song, Candyman. There are blues and rock versions of this song that do not outrightly suck and cause morally reprehensible earworms. When you think maybe the advertising and marketing business have maybe hit the Trump (aka the hellish bottom of anything), they lower the floor. Is that the McConnell or the Guiliani? A new scale of perfidy and pernicious evil. 

I am deeply back to sleepiness, but I earned it today. Of course, I staid up too late last night and then had to get Janet out of the house and to a doctor's appointment. This was accomplished with no yelling or crying. My remaining three bookshelves were ready for pick-up a-aways away. I thought to take Patrick as we are companionable road buddies, but that didn't work out. As Janet has no Domineers today, I thought I should take her, both to get her out of the house and to make sure I could use the HOV lane. (Such are the strategies of Southern California drivers (elsewhere I am sure, too.)

We neatly picked up the shelves from Mason. He and his partner are the sweetest fellows. They showed me their workshop and we discussed some other possible projects for this place. Mason followed me out to the car to make sure Janet and I had adequate water. They suggested they could build shelving in the garage for a reasonable price, thus increasing my book and cd shelf space. (Sad but true, these shelves will not be enough. Cue: get rid of many.) But getting new and practical shelving in the kitchen is a higher priority. I think if I could get the kitchen to a general higher level of cleanliness and organization (and it has improved thanks to both Shelly and Debee), I might be able to do more cooking.

I know I am rambling. I am tired, so bear with me.

Stops at Trader Joe's, Sees, and Lowe's were all productive and accomplished forthwith. AND then came Costco. I needed petrol and as it was mid-afternoon, it seemed that lines might not be too heinous. Both Janet and I are complaining of our arthritic pain, her shoulders, my left knee. It was 2:30 and as I had her out and in the vicinity, I thought maybe it would be a good time to try on some new glasses. Her current spectacles are both HIDEOUS and extremely old, maybe 10 years. She was reluctant to spend the money as she expect to die relatively soon-ish, but she agreed. 

Of course, she was reluctant to choose anything, repeatedly saying that she did not care, then rejecting my choices. I got up for the desk to look at some other glasses while she admired and primped in the mirror, getting into the spirit of the thing about and admitting that she did care. I would have gone for some black cat's-eye frames, but they were too radical for her. 

The floors at Costco are hard and the distances are long, even getting into the store. My knee was killing me from shifting in the stop-and-go traffic and pounding through Trader Joe's and Lowe's. At this point, I was nearly hysterical with pain. Also, no place to sit down really. After a quick bite, and there is no such thing as a quick anything with Janet, save a sarcastic retort, she hasn't lost that, we returned to get her eyes examined, only to find it would be ANOTHER hour wait. 

We were committed soldiers now and Janet was more in the spirit of things, notwithstanding her shoulder in pain. We plopped her down on the patio furniture, although it was verboten. How is going to begrudge a 94-year-old from cooling her heels a bit. Maybe not so much for me. I was on a mission to find the fans, walking the aisles, until I finally found them. 

We finally got home around 6:00. All of this to say that my knee was so inflamed from the walking on hard surfaces in inappropriate shoes had me gasping in pain. Five hours, acetaminophen, ice, and wine later, it finally doesn't hurt whilst I sit.

Not sure that this is interesting nor that it has any redeeming social value, but there you go.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...