Tuesday, September 2, 2014

ELECTRICITY OF THE REAL

Last night seemed like August to me, so I was surprised to see it was my first post in September. After a bit, I was able to go back to sleep and get some better rest.

Now, after having spent some time working on Monsterwood with Jason, I continue to curse the humid weather and sit as still as I can. But there is laundry in the basement that needs attending. I did try to attack my car which is still full of stuff, but it is just too hot to move anything but your mind or your hand to your mouth, when there is a cold drink in it.


As I was falling asleep again this morning, I mused upon the relationship between superficiality and denial. Is there one? I certainly had a case for it then. Isn’t denial superficial? Is not superficiality the refusal to acknowledge or be interested in the depth and detail? The gist of my rumination was just that there is a lot of this going around these days, and I do not except myself, exempt myself from the sin or crime or misbehavior of partaking.

I particularly like her shedding on herself.


The next (damn hot) day ...

"Surrealism could not be made up. It was the very electricity of the real."
— Laurie Moore, Bark


Superficial 

(1) :  of, relating to, or located near a surface (2) :  lying on, not penetrating below, or affecting only the surface<superficial wounds>
b British of a unit of measure :  square <superficial foot>
2
a :  concerned only with the obvious or apparent :  shallow
b :  seen on the surface :  external
c :  presenting only an appearance without substance or significance

Denial 
:  refusal to satisfy a request or desire
2
(1) :  refusal to admit the truth or reality (as of a statement or charge) (2) :  assertion that an allegation is false
b :  refusal to acknowledge a person or a thing :  disavowal
3
:  the opposing by the defendant of an allegation of the opposite party in a lawsuit
4
5
:  negation in logic
6
:  a psychological defense mechanism in which confrontation with a personal problem or with reality is avoided by denying the existence of the problem or reality
— in denial
:  refusing to admit the truth or reality of something unpleasant <a patient in denial about his health problems>

Okay, so I am continuing to muse on superficial and denial. Superficiality is a sort of disavowal; it's a disavowal of a whole being, a refusal to get the whole picture, a refusal to penetrate and get deep. Now, perhaps this is not particularly revelatory, but it did occur to me.  Further reflections and insights are welcome. 

Meanwhile, hiding out in the cold room where we have some A.C. I have a desire to sleep, but that overall logeyness might be due to heat more than other things. For the record, although I slept too late, I had a productive day getting geared up on Sociative again, and pushing forward on Monsterwood. For any interested parties, you can download the first version of the prologue for free here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...