Thursday, September 9, 2021

SUMMER IN THESE LATITUDES

 As if I needed another damn book, I got three in the mail that I must have ordered when under some alternate reality. At least I am staying out of thrift stores. And at least I am approaching reading again. Besides listening to Empire of Pain, I started listening to the latest George Packer, Last Best Hope: America in Crisis and Renewal.  That's all to say, I might well read all three of them. If I can just put down my needlepoint.

















The Domineers met today. Hooray! So Janet got out of the house. They said they were willing to go back to yoga so resumption of class on Tuesday. It will be interesting to compare that to teaching the chair yoga class at Town Hall. We will see soon enough whether that class will go forward.

No one showed. Oh well. Not giving up. I think I will withdraw the class for October so as to give me more leeway in maybe figuring out a trip to New York. And maybe some time in Oakland/Berkeley as well.

I didn't get Janet out of the house in time for another perambulation of the block this evening, which I meant to do. She was sleeping when I got home from my non-class and by the time she awoke it was dark and I was deeply into Empire of Pain and some solitaire. 

One of the treasures I "inherited" from Anita was a MontBlanc pen which I have always wanted. They retail for about $625.00. Why and how she had one is another Anita/Carole mystery. Until I just looked it up, I did not know how expensive they were. It's the cheapest one. I guess I won't be throwing it in my purse and lending it out. 


I keep wanting this "death phase" for Anita to be over. I have things to tell her. 


SAN JUAN’S DAY


during summer in these latitudes

one disappointment is as good as another


each year when the rains come

we are convinced by the sophistries of water

that the dust will not be back


and each year it returns unerringly

falling upon us

like the patience we have forgotten we possess


— Richard Shelton, Selected Poems, 1969-1981, University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 1982


2 comments:

  1. Where did Richard SHelton live? India? Some tropic isle below the equator? I long for other latitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God. I read crap. you read books. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...