Wednesday, September 15, 2021

BACK TO THE PLACE I HADN'T MEANT TO LEAVE

"And mistakes ought to be rectified, only this one couldn't. Between the way things used to be and the way they were now was a void that couldn't be crossed. I had to find an explanation other than the real one, which was we no more immune to misfortune than anybody else, and the idea kept recurring to me, perhaps because of pacing the floor with my father, was that I had inadvertently walked through a door that I shouldn't have gone through and couldn't get back to the place I hadn't meant to leave."

— William Maxwell, So Long, See You Tomorrow, Vintage Books, New York, 1980

I can relate to not being able to get back to the place you hadn't meant to leave on ever so many levels. 

Days later.

Yes, well, that's me fighting the ... well, if not good, then regular fight against ennui, depression, and outright self-destructive behavior. A couple of times I have found myself driving in a less-than-location-based fog. I am good on going in the general direction and paying attention to traffic, but not mapping out the most direct route very well. When I am out of the house, in the car, by myself, I very much space out which has led to overshooting freeway exchanges and missing the most direct routes, finding myself having to change course. 

And if that isn't an apt metaphor for how I have misspent my life, I don't know what would be. Right general direction, wrong paths, and not always sure where I was. 

In other non-news, I finished Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty (audio book highly recommended) and have moved on to George Packer's latest, Last Best Hope: America in Crisis and Renewal (and also recommended). I mention this because, as you may remember, I haven't been able to focus enough to read in many months. I am encouraged. 

Vera is not happy with the desk arrangement as I rarely sit in such a way as she can sleep on my lap. This causes her to pace all over the desk and credenza, and, often my laptop. McCoy, however, has found his way to a suitable place in one of the many boxes of books and papers.

The weather continues to be suspiciously clement. I even have on a wrap as it is 63 degrees tonight and the windows are open. Generally, September and October are in the 90s and 100s. The days are getting shorter here and there is an unusual-for-Los-Angeles autumnal nip. This is reducing my excuses to not be productive.

And yet through another lens, I could write myself as ... is it enjoying my days? Nah. But there have been a couple of days where I mostly do what I want: some reading, some needlework, some binge-watching, Janet tending, gym going, wine sipping, some errands or chores (light on that score), and maybe some sewing. (McCoy has moved onto the chair which I am sitting at the edge of. Vera has curled up in the only corner of the desk where she fits and is contemplating the outside.

But there is that low level pervasive depression and anxiety. I think the hopelessness of the world always weighs me down. Waiting for something else bad to happen, feeling sad about the situations of the acquaintance who is trying to find a women's shelter for herself and her children, the dearer friend who is across the country from her family in crisis, the pandemic ... Also, perhaps unadvisedly, I have been re-watching The Wire to see Michael K. Williams, and Breaking Bad to make me forget I am on an exercise bike for 5 miles. 

WHATEVER BECAME OF ME


1

because the moon

comes straight up from the mountain

like the hidden possibility of madness

escape for everyone to see


and the wandering stars

who are said to rule our lives

wander on in darkness


I feel a need to lie down among the stones

and caress any of them

who have survived


2

I always looked for what I wanted

in the wrong places

until the desert

taught me to want what I found


now on summer nights

I sit in the garden

where it is hot and dry

and young stones grow like weeds


when the moon turns

a mad white face upon me

having nothing to offer I hold up

my empty hands

it is so easy to be happy


3

this morning a woodpecker woke me

practicing on his drum

and all afternoon cicadas rang

like the telephone I haven’t answered


I am what has become of me

a man who lives in the desert


where coyotes wail more skillfully

than hired mourners

at the funeral of an Eastern king


where every night the stars

whose light I have not earned

and will never deserve 

return as if to keep a promise


and even the rain

when it falls is coming home


— Richard Shelton, Selected Poems, 1969-1981, University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 1982


1 comment:

  1. Today is my father's birthday. How old are you if you were born in 1913? Funny, when I was a wee slip of a kid, I used to wonder where rocks came from and if the ones I was looking at were babies and would grow up to be boulders, or maybe the cornerstone of a bank or something.

    ReplyDelete

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...