Wednesday, June 16, 2021

SOME THINGS WILL NOT YIELD

 57 of #100daychallenge

I am not feeling well tonight, so this will necessarily be brief. Plus, it is still muggy here, although a I have a child gate in front of an open window, so it is not as hot as it has been in this room. Huzzah. Night air.

Looks like a second hernia surgery is in my near future. Although the pain is not as bad as it was year before last when I was screaming for hours if not days on end. Only to be repeatedly misdiagnosed as having gall stones (I do, but they don't or haven't yet bothered me). I don't know if doing yoga exacerbates the pain or not. (Heidi's class was lovely as usual, going by in a flash. I was very happy to see two of my former Kava Yoga fellow travellers there and they were likewise pleased to see me.) I hate to give up practice again just as I am finding my way yet again, but I think I should not wait to see if it will get worse.

Book group met to discuss Ulysses. Seems everyone is enjoying it, albeit in different ways. We are in agreement that it will take us several months to get through it, but no need to really rush. From what I have read thus far, it isn't exactly a page turner or one where one can guess what comes next.

So, given that I don't feel very well, it is only natural that I should sit, watching television and working on my impossible needlepoint project. I probably haven't done this kind of needlework since 1976. I recall at that time that I would sit up late into the night, working away, and then in the days where there wasn't any tv of note to watch once Johnny Carson was over. I hope I can break my mini-addiction, but it is a cool way to spend these hot days.

I have a dermatology appointment at 7:45 in the morning so I should get me to bed. Just having some skin tags looked at. TMI?

NIGHT THOUGHT


Trying to fall asleep

is like trying to catch

yourself unawares, or trying

not to think of something,

or trying to fall

in love or out of love.

Some things will not yield.

Trying not to think of something

is like trying to fall

asleep, or trying to catch

yourself unawares, or trying

to fall in or out of love

with someone who will not yield.

Yielding is like not thinking

of something or someone,

and without yielding

there is not catching yourself

unawares, and no falling

in love or out of love,

and trying to yield

is like trying to fall

asleep, or trying not to.


— Gerald Jonas, The New Yorker, October 16/17, 1964


No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...