Saturday, December 16, 2017

DELAYING TACTICS

Here is Saturday! I am indulging in one of my favorite things, sitting in bed, drinking coffee and watching Netflix. I still have an hour to decide if I am going to the pool today. I did have two fine swims this week, so I have met my commitment. I tried to get Janet to make some cocoanut pancakes but she is too enthralled with the ongoing circus of misery surrounding the disaster of our national situation. 

Now, on to Sunday.

I did make it to the pool and swam enough laps so that my weekly total was 2 miles instead of my usual one-and-change. I also got, surprisingly, sun-singed. As you know, it is very dry here and my hair is currently more straw than hair. I need to do a deep conditioning later.

I indulged myself in the remaining episodes of The Crown. Along with that indulgence, I did make a quiche and began working through the enormous pile of ironing for a couple of hours. Headway was made. For some reason, (maybe a bit too much sake?) I didn't sleep all that well; most restless. I woke up many times hearing the last chapters of Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine. I will likely finish it today while attempting to dig out.

I think taking a bit of a break yesterday was good as I seem to have a bit more enthusiasm (or something along those lines) and focus for the giant re-organization project. Some days I don't make any progress to speak of. I get overwhelmed. You know that chain of avoidance: I can't do this until I do that and I also need to do this and go here and I had better call so-and-so or write something. I am allowed to write this. This counts as progress.

I suppose the difficulty in throwing things away has to do with the constant re-evaluation of how you got it, do you need it, and what the hell happened to my life? I see how the patterns of hoarding come into play. Seemingly suddenly, before you know it, there are things that you have been walking around for a month and not dealing with. Just multiply and voila! you have a serious mess. In my case, having a "housemate" who is completely over doing anything and there I am doing laundry again.

Later that same day ...

You know, I didn't get everything done, but I did make progress AND I spoke with some people who were on my list to speak to. Not to mention a few spirited text exchanges with some folks.

And in even better news, I recalled that I had made enough spaghetti sauce earlier this week, so I do not need to eat more quiche or cook something else for dinner. That seems like a reasonable win. 

I don't know to what to attribute this better day. I [[[[[[[[[[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------890-,



















.......... .pose it could be that the spewing hose of garbage coming through the news wires was quieter. Or maybe it was the extra swimming I did yesterday. hp['b


It looks as if Butterscotch wanted to add something up there.

On to Wednesday and not much news from me.

I guess one knows one is in trouble if one cannot even easily choose a postcard to send from a pretty large pile. My decision making skills are deteriorating. I wonder if that is concomitant with aging. (I first spelled "againing" ... not as in a-gaining ... see there I go wandering off).

It is so hot and dry here that farting seems to put the air in danger of spontaneous combustion.




A week already and I haven't managed to finish this. It is only a delaying tactic that encourages me to write right now. I am comfortably ensconced with coffee, covers, and cats doing nothing but reading the NYTimes, New Yorker, and other such publications on-line. One of two sick kitties, Butterscotch, is face into pillows next to me. But I really need to go to the pool as I have only been once this week. 

It was a bit of a rough week. At least there was a glimmer of better news with Doug Jones'  win in Alabama. Yet, it is clear to see that the Robber Barons will not go without their ill-gotten gains. 

I will leave with this picture that I lifted from the internet. No idea who took it, but I very much like it. Hiding in plain sight? On to a swim and a fresh start later.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...