Monday, January 21, 2019

RECOMBINE OR SINK

This morning's hit parade kicked off with Sexual Healing (damn that Marvin Gaye had a beautiful voice) followed up by The Streets of Baltimore. And this is a nice version of New, New Minglewood Blues from the Dead.



See? I started this on January 18th and suddenly it is January 21st. 

No matter what I accomplish in a given day, it is never ever even close to enough. I wonder what feeling satisfied after a day's occupation would even feel like. Or even waking up with an anticipatory vibe. Having hung many of my pieces of art, photography, antique mirrors, and French film posters around does push the needle toward being pleased, but then more reality sets in. I would have hung more art today, however, I misplaced the hammer in my last hanging extravaganza and now I must wait for it to resurface.

After a week of rain, we have a quite blustery day. I cannot really hang out in my room as the broken window keeps getting blown out. I might just have to marshal another down comforter if the wind doesn't die down tonight. It is so windy, my skin in very dry.

I could jump into my yoga clothes for the Monday night class, but I have set myself some tasks today and i haven't yet finished them. Practice four times a week is probably good for now. And Janet had made noises about making chicken soup so I should help her get started with that.

She never wants to do anything. Watching death move on your mother every day, little by little is terribly hard. The fight and spunk has drained out of her. Her health is okay, and would be better if I could just get her to move a bit more. That would take a greater deal of organization on my part, to get up early so that she could get in some exercise before she goes to the senior center (which always takes a hassle).

I had a Palm Springs two-nighter planned. I wanted to see how Janet might do as I have not left her alone for quite a long time. I decided I could not really afford to go, so I gave myself some fool around time here instead. I put in some time with The Power Broker and am a whole 13% done. I do really enjoy it, but it is quite a bit to absorb. Only 1200 pages to go!

I recommended the Marie Colvin biography as well, In Extremis: The Life and Death of War Correspondent Marie Colvin.

And last night I finally settled in to watch a film in the annual MyFrenchFilmFestival offering. I have been subscribed for four or five years now. If you don't feel you get to see enough contemporary French films, check this out. It is only about 10 dollars and you get to stream a lot of interesting stuff. Last night's flick was Gaspard va au marriage. I liked it quite a bit. Who knows maybe I will revisit the challenge of getting my MacBook Air connected to my Smart TV so that I can watch on the bigger screen. I thought getting an HDMI to USB cable would be a plug and play solution, but, and you can quote me on this

NOTHING IS EVER EASY.


So, notwithstanding my Sisyphean sense of not accomplishing anything, I did run an errand for my mom, do laundry, work on the unpacking project, recycled, hand-washed, and am now looking to spend some time looking for my car registration so that I am not angling for a big ticket. I did register the car on time, but what happened to the sticker??? Stay tuned.



CIRQUE

Even the clean
blue-green water
of the cirque,
with nothing
in between
the snow and it
but slant,
can't speed
the work,
must wait
upon whatever
makes it white
to dissipate.
It seems
so hard to think
that even lakes
so pure
should start opaque,
that something
always
has to recombine
or sink.

— Kay Ryan, The Best of It: New and Selected Poems, New York, Grove Press, 2010






No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...