Monday, June 4, 2018

HOW DID THAT FEEL?

I may well have mentioned this before in these posts. As I child, I can distinctly remembering some fears about history repeating itself. Volcanoes were one thing that gave me nightmares. Given the current activity in the Pacific Ring of Fire, perhaps the San Andreas Fault and its family can't stand the United States either. Time to blow this pop-stand.

The Great Depression and abject, hopeless poverty frightened me. Now, I get to live just barely above the poverty line. Those images of food lines, Dust Bowl migrants, and general desperation terrified me. I thought by choosing to work in the larger "entertainment" industry, I would be employed. Wrong again. It's pretty hard to accept misery in the face of all the glamorous consumerism surrounding us. You know, there should be some financial threshold below which one is exempt from telemarketers and push advertisers.

And I was afraid of Nazism and Fascism, once I understood them in the larger context besides persecution of Jews (don't misread me, that was beyond the pale of horror and unspeakability). How did that feel, to watch that all go down? Like watching the Bush and Trump presidencies, you say? Yes, that is how I feel. Here we are at the bonfire of the vanities of law, kindness, sanity, compassion, selflessness, generosity, equality, equanimity, art, truth, and beauty.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...