Friday, February 28, 2014

A SYSTEM OF SLOW

What fools these mortals be to plan ... or some such thing like that (yes, I know it is actually about love). Although I don't sleep really late, generally up and downstairs drinking coffee by 8:30 or so, I am trying to get up a bit earlier (preparing to re-enter the workforce for reals?).

Okay, it's an hour later and I am still trying to get mail to work on my iPhone. Life in the modern world. So much for getting a productive start on the day. So much for meditation and deep thoughts. So much for answering thoughtful emails. Welcome to frustration and wheel-spinning.

I'm kidding a little bit, but that damn kitchen clock is tocking away. BTW, just between us, I so hate autocorrect. It is the bane of the creative writer. I know the difference between tocking and rocking.


Okay. Back to some reality here. It's now almost 10:00 and other than honey, coffee, and morning protein, as well as another exercise in technology frustration and yelling at Emmylou to get off the table, I have accomplished little. 

But, I will stop to admire the sun shining through a young geranium leaf. 



I really want another cup of coffee as it tasted great this morning, but I am already agitated enough, so it likely would not be a good idea. I took down the kitchen clock for the moment, as that tocking was just driving me depressed.

Later again. Still having a challenge to get real work done or even this finished. But, I did use my procrastination time to practice my "two-minute chore" completion by emptying litter box, trash, sweeping kitchen, taking meds, and brewing a cup of chamomile tea to see if that centered me. 


Someone is clearly "carpe-diem"-ing.

A couple of days ago, I wrote something about trying to be more disciplined. This has always been a bit of an issue with me, but I think it had more to do with ADHD or confused/over-commitment than anything else. My Dreamfarm girl sent me this in response, 

"Some feel that fear is okay as a lifestyle because they’ve heard that the meek shall inherit the earth. So they can go on with being meek as a way of life. They become soft-spoken and compliant, never standing for themselves; always resigned to being a fluffy doormat. But scholars now say that in the scriptural texts that were translated from the Greek, the word praos doesn’t exactly mean “meek” as people have always thought. In fact, it is more accurate to say it means “disciplined.” A very big difference in those translations. It’s much more encouraging to now realize that the disciplined shall inherit the earth."


~ Steve Chandler


which is interesting even if you don't care about Scripture.

Okay, still here and still trying to get this finished and posted and now it is noon.

I think I will give it up for the day and move on after I share today's Poem-of-the-Day which was/is excellent.


The Barnacle and the Gray Whale


by Cecilia Llompart
 
  
Said the Barnacle,

You enchant me, with your carnival
of force.

Yours is a system of slow.

There is you, the pulley
and there is you, the weight.

Your eyes wide on a hymn.

Your deep song like the turn
of that first,

that earliest of wheels.



Said the Whale,

I have seen you, little encruster,
in that business of fouling the ships.

Known, little drum machine, you
to tease out food from the drink.

Little thimble of chalk and hard water.


You could be a callus of whiter skin.

You could be a knucklebone. You
who hang on me,

like a conscience.







Happy birthday, dear MOZ!

1 comment:

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...