Saturday, April 11, 2020

A METAPHOR NOT DUSTY?


The incomparable Barry Blitt, used without his permission.


I need to be getting dressed.
I need to be making breakfast.
I need to be studying anatomy.
I need to be making my bed.
I need to be helping my Mom.
I need to be gardening.
I need to
I need to
I need
I need
I

Need is kind of a funny word, isn’t it? I didn’t dig up any interesting etymology there, but I did come across the word lemma, which is also a funny word. It has no connection to the word lemme

The day calls on. I am reluctant to prepare for training. I think it is going to be cold out there today near the water today. Waaahe waaah wah. 

I have been taking my daily dose of news and it is almost all bad. I do feel grateful that for the moment we are safe and reasonably comfortable. I am concerned that the government might collapse entirely and then we would have nothing. 

One of my friends remarked that now most of America is experiencing what I have experienced economically and psychologically for the past 11 years. 

Funny how the denial cycles through the mind. One wants things to go back to ... well, I am not fan of his,  but maybe the Obama years as it has been a shit show of terror since Orangeshitgibbonfecalpetridishmeatsuit has been on the national scene. One thinks it will be somehow normal. It will not. Up and down. I am glad I took so many rides on the Coney Island Cyclone so that I have some idea, possibly, of how to ride this out. I could use a high or an adrenaline rush, though.

Looking for a poem, I just opened Hirschfield's Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry and at random, hit on this paragraph, which with some modification and stretching of the mind, rather obtains.

"What is hidden in daily speech is here played out—language's utter dependence on comparative mind. Herbert's longing for "one simple word" is a true impulse; it is also an unattainable dream. A metaphor not dusty with age or simplified to the point of lying is all one can finally ask. For in truth, this "one word/drawn out of my breast like a rib," "contained within the boundaries of my skin," is unattainable precisely because its existence would refute what we already know: underlying the mind of language is the undeniable interconnection of each thing and being of earth. The loneliness of Herbert's imagined single word would be unbearable."

Break it down now, break it down.

"What is hidden in daily speech is here played out—language's utter dependence on comparative mind. Herbert's longing for "one simple word" is a true impulse; it is also an unattainable dream.

Comparative mind ... yes, our comparative mind is comparing now to then. And yes, yesterday is an unattainable dream.

"A metaphor not dusty with age or simplified to the point of lying is all one can finally ask."

Truth? We could use quite a bit of it.

For in truth, this "one word/drawn out of my breast like a rib," "contained within the boundaries of my skin," is unattainable precisely because its existence would refute what we already know: underlying the mind of language is the undeniable interconnection of each thing and being of earth. The loneliness of Herbert's imagined single word would be unbearable.

Undeniable interconnection. Yeah, the virus tells us so. 

I need to make more coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...